Police Sirens

IDAHO FALLS — A man was killed late Friday night in an officer-involved shooting with Idaho Falls police.

The man is the third individual to be killed by police in Idaho Falls during the past two years. The actions of police were deemed to be justified in the previous two shootings.

The names of the suspect and the officers involved in Friday night’s shooting have not been released. Idaho Falls police have not yet provided many details about the shooting, including whether the man who was shot was armed.

The suspect’s name was being withheld pending next of kin notifications, a Saturday morning Idaho Falls Police Department news release said. The officers were not injured in the incident.

No other individuals were involved in the shooting and there is no ongoing threat to the public, police said.

The incident occurred at about 11 p.m. Friday near the intersection of East 25th Street and South Emerson Avenue, police said.

The Southeast Idaho Critical Incident Team is investigating the incident. Such investigations are standard protocol in officer-involved shootings, police said. The critical incident team consists of representatives from the Idaho State Police, the Bingham County Sheriff’s Office, the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office. Idaho State Police are leading the investigation.

The incident was the second fatal officer-involved shooting in Idaho Falls in less than a year and the third in the past two years.

On Nov. 2, 2018, an Idaho State Police trooper shot and killed Jesse Jesús Quinton following a physical struggle as the trooper chased Quinton who was fleeing a traffic stop on foot.

On Jan. 23, 2018, an Idaho Falls police officer shot and killed Shane McVey after two officers had pursued McVey into a basement and McVey charged them and attacked them with pepper spray.

In both of those cases the law enforcement officers’ actions were ruled to be justified.

No other information regarding Friday’s shooting will be released at this time, Idaho Falls police said.