POCATELLO — Firefighters are being credited with saving four kittens from a burning apartment here last week.

The fire occurred at an apartment in the 600 block of Randolph Avenue near Alameda Park.

As the fire was raging, firefighters searched the apartment and found four kittens suffering from severe smoke inhalation.

Firefighters removed the kittens from the apartment and used the pet oxygen mask from a Fire Department ambulance on the felines until they recovered from the smoke.

The family whose apartment caught fire did not have any way to transport the kittens, so a fireman went home to retrieve a pet carrier he wasn’t using and gave it to the family.

The name of the family has not yet been released.

The fire severely damaged one room in the apartment and caused smoke damage throughout the residence. The family had to find a new place to live following the blaze, but neighboring apartments were not seriously damaged, firefighters said.

There were no human casualties during the fire, which remains under investigation by the Fire Department.