The National Weather Service predicts a wet and windy storm system will strike much of Eastern Idaho starting Tuesday afternoon.

Furthermore, a winter weather advisory has been issued covering Island Park from Tuesday night through Wednesday night, and a winter storm warning will take effect Tuesday night in and north of West Yellowstone, Montana.

The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory from Tuesday afternoon through Tuesday night covering Pocatello through Rexburg, with wind gusts predicted of up to 39 mph Tuesday afternoon and gusts of up to 32 mph later Tuesday night. A 40 percent chance of snow showers is predicted after midnight on Wednesday morning, with a 60 percent chance of less than half an inch of snow accumulating during the day.

A winter weather advisory has been issued for the Island Park area, spanning from Tuesday night into Wednesday night. The chance of snow showers is 90 percent from Tuesday night into Wednesday afternoon, with 1 to 3 inches of snow possible. Wind gusts of up to 31 mph could make conditions more treacherous on Tuesday night.

A winter storm warning will be in effect from Tuesday night through Wednesday night in West Yellowstone and north. Wind gusts will reach up to 29 mph, and the chance of precipitation is 90 percent, with accumulations of up to 5 inches possible.

The AccuWeather Special Report: 2019 U.S. Winter Forecast offers a longterm outlook for mild weather throughout this winter in the Northwest. According to the outlook, released Oct. 3, strong high pressure over the region is likely to lead to drier conditions and warmer temperatures than normal.

The report predicts regional ski area’s will be adversely affected, as will the irrigation and hydropower water supply.

“In the Northwest, wintry weather will be more scarce than usual,” the report reads. “I can see some places this winter in the Northwest being about 20 to 40 percent lower on the snowfall compared to the average.”

By contrast, the Northeast should receive above-normal snowfall.