Ambulance stock image

ISLAND PARK — Ten people were rushed to a local hospital on Thursday morning due to a hazardous materials incident at a resort here.

The incident occurred at the Sawtelle Mountain Resort, 4133 Quakie Lane, and resulted in 10 resort employees being transported to Madison Memorial Hospital in Rexburg as a precaution, authorities said.

The resort reported early Thursday evening that all 10 of the employees were determined to be in good health and were released from the hospital.

The resort said that the hazardous materials incident apparently occurred when two cleaning chemicals were mixed together at the resort and created fumes that sickened the employees.

Despite the incident, the resort is open for business.

Numerous emergency units had responded to the resort after the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office received a call around 10:50 a.m. Thursday that several people were becoming ill at the resort following exposure to what authorities called “an unknown substance.”

The East Idaho Regional Hazardous Materials Team was deployed to Sawtelle Mountain Resort to investigate the incident and remained on the scene until Thursday night.