Fire near Alameda Park

The scene of Saturday evening's basement home fire on Randolph Avenue near Alameda Park in Pocatello. 

POCATELLO — A dog died in a fire at a residence near Alameda Park early Saturday evening.

The fire at the basement home in the 400 block of Randolph Avenue was reported around 6 p.m. by neighbors who heard the home’s smoke detector going off.

Pocatello firefighters responded and gained entry to the below-ground residence after realizing that no one was home.

Firefighters found the dead dog in the smoke-filled home upon entering.

It took firefighters less than 10 minutes to extinguish the fire, which was burning in the home’s kitchen.

The kitchen sustained fire and water damage and the entire residence had smoke damage, but the Pocatello Fire Department said the home is definitely salvageable. No firefighters were injured during the fire.

Mike Williams, a battalion chief with the Pocatello Fire Department, said the fire appears to have been caused when cardboard left on top of a glass-top stove ignited after a burner was inadvertently turned on. Williams said it’s possible that the dog may have bumped the stove nob and turned on the burner.

“The person who lived there hadn’t used the stove for several weeks,” Williams said.

Williams estimated the damage at $5,000 to $10,000. He said there was some smoke damage but little structural damage.

The Fire Department believes the dog died of smoke inhalation from the fire.

Firefighters said people should never leave any flammable object on a stove top because of the chance that the stove could be left on or accidentally activated.

The Fire Department said a man was renting the residence but had been away from the home all day when the fire occurred. It was the man’s dog that died in the fire. The man’s name has not been released.

The owner of the basement home has insurance to help cover the cost of repairing the damage, the Fire Department said.