Thank you to all of the residents and visitors that came out to enjoy Friday’s Light Parade and Saturday’s Small Business Saturday. It was a wonderful weekend in Old Town Pocatello, and we appreciate you all very much.
This year’s parade with the light dusting of snow was exceptionally beautiful. Thank you to all of the businesses, clubs, organizations, community groups, churches and families that worked so hard to create such a beautiful parade for our community.
Congratulations to the parade winners:
- Sweepstakes Award: Shoshone Bannock Casino Hotel
- Mayor’s Choice Award: Idaho Power
- Most Traditional Award: Rustic Wagons
- Best Non-Profit Award: Toys For Tots
- Best Commercial Award: CAT Western States Equipment
- Most Creative Award: Mandarin House of Pocatello
- Civitan Award: POWMIA Awareness Rally & Organization
- Children’s Choice Award: Pocatello High School Gate City Singers
Thank you to our presenting sponsors ISU Credit Union and Station Square, and our event sponsors Citizens Community Bank, Pocatello-Chubbuck Chamber of Commerce, Bannock Civitan, Jordan & Company, Myers Anderson Architects, AvCenter Professional Aviation Services, Inc., Pocatello Pet Lodge and Pocatello Pet Lodge Too, Dorsey Hill Family, Idaho State Journal, KZBQ, KORR 104, KSEI, KMGI and KOUU for making these two days full of Christmas fun in Old Town possible. Thank you to the city of Pocatello Police Department, Fire Department and Street Department, the Portneuf Valley ARES Group, Veterans of Foreign Wars, a Pocatello Branch, Post #735, of the United States of America, and Operation Lifesaver for assistance in running the parade.
- The winners of our 2019 Window Decorating Contest have been selected:
- First place: Old Town Mercantile & Antiques
- Second place: Poky Dot Boutique
- Third place: Kanda’s & Company
- Best light display: Vain & Vintage
- Best theme: The Elwen Cottage
Happy first anniversary
Come help Cherub Capers celebrate their one-year anniversary with a proper grand opening. Finish up your holiday shopping and grab some great deals while you are at it. They will have giveaways, make-and-takes and special deals going on throughout the three days: Thursday and Friday from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. They are located at 115 N Main St.
This week in Old Town
- Plan to enjoy the December First Friday Art Walk on Friday from 5 to 8 p.m. Stroll through Old Town and experience art, music, food, fashion and more. Admission is free and so is parking. You will find many gift-giving and holiday decorating ideas throughout our participating locations. The event guide listing all of the locations for this month will be available on our website, www.oldtownpocatello.com, on Thursday.
- You are invited to experience the Kandy Land Holiday Gift Show. There are two floors of holiday shopping featuring collectibles, handmade crafts, antiques, one-of-a-kind gifts, entertainment, food, drinks and more inside Kanda’s & Co. located at 159 S. Main St. The show will be open on Friday from noon to 8 p.m. Stop in for lunch and refreshments. DJ Adrian will be at the show entertaining the crowd during First Friday Art Walk from 5 to 8 p.m. that evening. On Saturday the show will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This annual holiday show is not to be missed.
- Don’t miss the Alternative Gift Market, International Fair Trade Craft and Bake Sale scheduled for Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the UCC Church gym at 309 N. Garfield Ave. The Alternative Gift Market will offer a variety of meaningful, life-sustaining gifts that will support people right here in the Portneuf Valley and across the planet. With each donation, alternative gift recipients get a card with a description of the work being carried out by the selected nonprofit. International and local projects include Fresh Water for South Sudan, Care for Expectant Mothers in Guatemala, the Idaho Foodbank, the Pocatello Free Clinic and many more. Expect 20-plus booths, making this another big year for the market. From holiday decor to jewelry and much more, you’ll find the perfect gift while supporting hard-working artisans across the third world. There will be fair-trade chocolates and coffee, too — and don’t forget to stock up on the awesome baked goods. The Pocatello Unitarian Universalist Fellowship is teaming up with the First Congregational United Church of Christ once again for this meaningful, holiday fundraiser. For additional information, contact Jim Mariani at email@example.com or 208 851-0842 or Starr Reardon at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208 232-3056.
- The First National Bar will be hosting a donation drop box for the Marine Corps Reserve’s Toys for Tots program this year. Bring in any new, unwrapped toy to The First National Bar from now until Friday to help a child in need this Christmas. American Hitmen will be performing on Friday night beginning at 10 p.m. Bring a toy for Toys For Tots and get in free.
- This week at Portneuf Valley Brewing, The Relyx will be on stage Friday at 8:30 to 10:30 p.m. They’re a sensational classic rock band and always a crowd-pleaser. Come enjoy dinner, beer and a show. Friday is also the first Friday Art Walk, and they will have two new artists on display: Nick Hottman and Cheryl Heart. PVB is open on Sundays so you can keep up with your favorite sports teams. Their downstairs dining area makes for excellent dinner reservations with loved ones and the upstairs loft is the perfect place to host your next party or team meeting. Check out their website or email email@example.com to reserve your next event today.
During this Christmas Season, please support the small businesses in your downtown. Come explore, shop, dine and play in Old Town. Keeping your dollars local means the world to our businesses.
Stephanie Palagi is the executive director of Old Town Pocatello, Inc. The Old Town Pocatello office can be reached at 208-232-7545 or by visiting oldtownpocatello.com.