POCATELLO — Law enforcement officials have still not made a determination in the Feb. 10 shooting death of Nettie Adair, but friends of the 28-year-old Pocatello mom said they are confident that progress is being made in the case.

    Adair died from a gunshot wound to the head, she was found bleeding and unresponsive outside her Jefferson Street home on Feb. 10, and was transported to Pocatello Medical Center where she died.

    A number of people at the scene were questioned and a .38 caliber handgun was collected along with other evidence that is still being processed.

    Pocatello Police Lt. Paul Manning said that investigators have received several tips in connection with the shooting, but no person of interest has been identified.

    Continued from A1

    “Everyone involved in the case has been interviewed,” Manning said. “We are waiting for autopsy results.”

    Bannock County Coroner Kim Quick said autopsy and toxicology reports in the case could be completed this week.

    Former Pocatello detective Robert Engelmann said the investigative process in any shooting can be lengthy.

    Eggimann, who now operates Epic Investigation in Pocatello, said depending on the officers assessment of the scene, evidence is turned over to technicians who take photographs and fingerprints of the site.

    “If they find anything questionable, they send it to the state facility,” Eggimann said.

    He added that the process can take up to six months due to huge backlogs at those facilities.

    Eggimann said police are often slow to release information that could compromise an ongoing investigation — if everyone knows details about the case, it can be difficult to identify any person of interest.

    “(Pocatello Police Chief Scott Marchand) is very aggressive in a homicide investigation,” Eggimann said. “They will take all their leads to the very end.”

    Eggimann said persons with information about a case may also be reluctant to come forward.

    “A lot of times, people are afraid, even if they weren’t involved,” he said. “Sometimes they believe someone else will come forward with information.”

    Adair left behind a five-year old daughter, Kiah.

    Sarah Russell said she and Adair had been friends for more than two decades, but had lost contact during the past two years.  When she heard about the shooting Russell said she wanted to do something to help Adair’s family and her daughter, Kiah.

    “Kiah was Nettie’s whole life,” Russell said.

    Russell helped to organize a benefit at the Oasis Bar on North Main St. and said turn out for the event, held Feb. 15, was huge.

    Tiera Nash, a bartender at the west side tavern said Adair, a regular at the bar, was well liked by everyone.

    “She had a kid, so we didn’t always see her that much,” Nash said. “But as soon as you met her, you felt like you had known her for years. She was very honest”

    Disc jockey Gina Lee agreed and added that she was impressed by the number of people that turned out to support the family. Donation jars were placed at the bar and both Lee and Nash donated their tips from the event.

    “We actually do a lot of benefits,” Nash said. “The owners, Randy and Dorene Guidinger like to help whenever they can.”

    The benefit netted $450 that was donated to Adair’s family to help cover funeral expenses.

    Russell said she has had no contact with investigators in the case, but she believes they are doing their best to bring closure to Adair’s family and friends.

    Kiah is currently with a family member.

    “She is doing great,” Russell said. “Kiah is with her family and she is loved.”