The body of 23-year-old Bannock County resident Angelea Schultz, who had been reported missing on Jan. 6, has been recovered by search crews. She was found about 6:30 p.m. Friday after two days of digging up a frozen parcel of land west of the Fort Hall townsite in an area where recent construction on a septic system had taken place.

    Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen said that in addition to Schultz’s body, authorities recovered bloody clothing and a baseball bat that her boyfriend, 25-year-old Boede Paul, used to beat her to death.

    Nielsen said her body was recovered about 10 or 12 feet underground. Heavy constrution equipment was used during the search. It’s unlikely her body would have been found if not for information Paul shared with deputies before he was fatally shot following a standoff with law enforcement Wednesday night.

    Nielsen confirmed that Paul was working for an excavation company responsible for the septic system work at the time of his death and had access to both the work area and heavy equipment.

    “It’s a sad situation all the way around,” Nielsen said about the deaths of Schultz and Paul. He said he was happy that Schultz’s body could be returned to her family.

    “We had nothing but full cooperation from Fort Hall elected officials and the Fort Hall police,” Nielsen said about the search inside the Fort Hall Reservation.

According to the sheriff, Paul provided Bannock County deputies with a general idea of the location of Schultz’s body when he allegedly confessed Wednesday afternoon to killing and burying her.

    Friday night after Schultz’s body was recovered, Nielsen explained in detail the series of events that began with Paul’s call to the sheriff’s office Wednesday.

     Paul had called deputies to his home off Reservation Road in North Bannock County and asked them to follow him to the construction site near the Fort Hall townsite. He unlocked a gate to the property and pointed out an area where Schultz was buried, after telling deputies he had murdered her at his home and disposed of the body at the site.

    But shortly after admitting to the killing, Paul brandished a pistol and told deputies to follow him back to his home in North Bannock County where he said there was more evidence.

    The deputies followed Paul back to Reservation Road, where he pulled past his house and remained in his pickup.

    This led to a more than six-hour standoff with police during which Paul shared additional information about the murder of Schultz, who is also the mother of his child. The sheriff said they were living together at the time of the murder and Paul had full custody of the child. The child was not at the home when the murder took place.

     Nielsen said Paul told deputies he had beaten Schultz to death with the bat inside the home. After trying to cleanup the murder scene, he then took her body, the murder weapon and some items covered with blood to the burial site.

    A forensic investigation inside the home corraborated the details of the attack given by Paul.

    Any opportunity to discuss a motive for the killing ended with a deadly shootout when Paul climbed out of his pickup truck and fired at SWAT officers Wednesday night.

    The sheriff said Paul never did provide a reason for his violent attack on Schultz.

    “We don’t know and I don’t think we ever will,” Nielsen said.

    When Paul came out of his pickup and fired his pistol, multiple shots were fired by members of the Southeast Idaho SWAT team killing Paul. No officers were injured. Eight of the SWAT officers remain on administrative leave as the shooting is investigated by detectives from the Pocatello Police Department. Their findings will eventually be turned over to a prosecutor in Ada County or Twin Falls County to determine if the fatal shooting was justified.

    Nielsen would not comment on the number of wounds suffered by Paul. The murder suspect's body was turned over to Bannock County Coroner Kim Quick for an autopsy. Quick said Friday night that he's officially declared Paul's cause of death as "suicide by cop."

    "He wanted the police to shoot him instead of shooting himself," Quick said.

    Schultz's body will be taken to the Ada County coroner's office Saturday for an autopsy. Preliminary results from that autopsy will likely be released Saturday night.

    After Schultz disappeared, Nielsen held a special press conference Jan. 9 to garner the community's help in finding the whereabouts of the mother of two young children, ages 18 months and 4 years. An “Attempt to Locate” alert was sent out to law enforcement agencies in Idaho, Utah and Wyoming. The next day Schultz’s 2000 Honda Accord was discovered abandoned in the Pine Ridge Mall parking lot in Chubbuck near the Sears store.

    No clues were found in the automobile.

    The investigation into disappearance continued until the Bannock County Sheriff's Office received Wednesday’s call from Paul.

    On Friday night, a tired and cold Nielsen said he was saddened by the violence.

    “People need to control their anger,” he said.